How to Prepare For Your First Road Trip With Your Pet
Taking your pets along on a road trip can be a lot of fun for you and your animals. If you have not made a trip like this before, it could cause some uncertainty. At the Trilby Animal Hospital in Toledo, we want to help you take care of your animals, whether at home or on pet road trips. If you have any concerns visit your veterinarian before you leave.
- Never leave your pet in your car in hot weather. Even if it is only in the 80s, it is dangerous. Cars can heat up more than you realize and in extreme cases could kill your pet. Even in cool weather, it is not a good idea to leave pets alone in the car.
- Keep feeding times as consistent as possible just like you do at home. Dogs especially like routines, so whatever you can make seem like home, will relax them. Bring their normal food. Feed your pets a little less than normal while traveling to avoid accidents.
- Take frequent breaks to offer them water and let them outside to relieve themselves. You will need to stop more often while driving distances than you would without your animals.
- Bring their blanket. Bring their bed too if possible. There are bed liners that can be used in the home and in the car. This is for the comfort of your pets and another familiar thing that will help them relax.
- Plan ahead and look for dog parks where you can let your pet run around some. Some truck stops along the Interstates have them.
- Be sure to take any medications your pet may need.
Come and see us
For all your veterinarian needs, we are your animal hospital in Toledo. We are here for your pet for routine care, as well as emergencies that come up. Pet road trips can be a lot of fun, and we think pets enjoy traveling too. With just a little preparation, these travel tips can will you and your pets have a great time on the road.